Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Desiree Gabor


 Hey guys, its Desiree! So, over the past week I got the opportunity to go on a missions trip. At first I thought we were just going to spread the word of God and help out struggling communities. Yes, that is a huge deal but it became way more than just that. I realized that we are put here on this earth for all sorts of reasons. I figured out that one of my reasons for being here was to heal the hearts of others by not only telling about God but learning from God to comfort others. Now, I started off this trip having issues with being empathetic and not really knowing what to do or say to make someone feel better. Thankfully, the team and God taught me how to make someone feel connected and close without using any words. The actual physical work taught me that effort and strength is needed to reach a goal and make real life changing difference. I wasn’t expecting that to happen at all!

              One of my highlights of this trip was going to the rehab center. Seeing faces of people who have been through WAY more than me and hearing their testimonies amazed me. These are the same people we are taught to avoid and are seen as bad influences but they ended up being such great teachers. It’s just surprising to find people who have done illegal acts want to become better and are now wiser because of their past. I got to see them in the place where they’re trying to make a change. Its just so beautiful to me. I could have sat and listened to them all day.

              This trip made me really get out of my comfort zone as well. I had always thought I had no problem with that until now! I had to go in front of crowds and sit with others and talk about myself. This made me so nervous because I don’t like to be vulnerable. There was a lot of that too, vulnerability, but I’ve gotten more comfortable with it now. All in all, this trip was something I wouldn’t trade for the world. I’m so happy about my experience and the people I got to experience it with.  So yea thanks for reading. Xoxo

~Desi

No comments:

Post a Comment